Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The World is too Much with Us

First time I read the title I thought: awh what did we do now?  After getting though the poem I realized that humans just f everything up generally.  I agree with what Wordsworth is saying because at first I think people are blinded by their own glory that they do not see the truth. The line that hits me hard is
                “we lay waste our powers”
that as intelligent beings we are so ignorant and egotistical. In the sense that we are not able to see the smaller things like nature and its importance but rather we have given our hearts away to things that are obsolete and materialistic. This idea has been something that I have been working on personally and also it was revealed to me that in the end we are all going to die. Those material things cannot be bought to the grave and that is why it is more important and beneficial to focus on emotion and experience. This goes for money as well, and people who feel like they are entitled to hoard and be disgustingly greedy are people that need help and pity.
Anyways Wordsworth is saying that we don’t appreciate nature and all that it has to offer to us such as the beautiful song of the wind, the ever flowing life of the sea, the fact that nature and us are one but those are things we fail to recognize. That is why we are so quick to destroy it. What is interesting is that Wordsworth is ishing on us in his poem poetic way he says
                “I’d rather be A Pagan”
a pagan to him is someone that knows how to cherish nature and understands the deeper meaning and sees the bigger picture. He makes a good argument with the lines following that explains his argument better to the reader. I would have to agree. However, I love God and have full faith in him and that is why I feel that I can accomplish what the Pagan have accomplished while still being true to myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment